Here is a list of our 'go to' ground covers for our client's gardens in Auckland.
1. Purple Bidibid (Acaena 'Purpurea') - if you need some colour on the ground, this is a perfect option. Plant this native in full sun and feed annually.
2. Bugleweed (Ajuga reptans) - perfect in shade or full sun to get the full effect of the coloured foliage, this groundcover is easy to divide and spreads rapidly.
3. Baby's Tears (Soleirolia soleirolii) - perfect for a damp shaady spot, this groundocver creates a lush green carpet. Also looks perfect between pavers and path edges.
4. Prostrate mingimingi (Coprosma 'Taiko') - hardy low growing native, which is thick and ground hugging. Hard for weeds to enter here!
5. Coprosma repens 'Poor Knights' - the lush green foliage is perfect for the more tropical garden. Hardy and tolerates those North Shore clay soils. One of our 'go to' ground covers.
6. Dwarf mondo (Ophiopogon 'Nana') - we can't not mention mondo grass. This is the baby version and perfect for a no mow lawn. Just make sure you plant close enough together to form a thick mat, so you dont need to weed between.
7. Creeping Fig (Ficus pumila) - also works well on the floor as well as up the walls. Great for softening the edges of large expanses of concrete and paving and works a dream over water tanks too.
8. Star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) - although it does like to climb up, star jasmine can be encouraged along the ground. Great underplanting for specimen trees or hedge lines.
9. Lilyturf - (Liriope muscari) - if you are looking for some spring colour, the purple spires of Liriope are striking enmasse. Give it a trim when the leaves are looking straggy and some slug pellets will deter the munchers.