It's all about making the right choices for your garden, but it's just as important to know what doesn't work. Check out your garden for any of these sins of the soil!
1. Planting trees and large shrubs too close to your house. You are asking for an arborist's or builders bill somewhere down the track. Check how big the tree will get at maturity. Unless you live on a lifestyle block, be cautious planting any tree in a smaller sized garden. Big trees in small gardens just don't work.
2. Weed mat - it destroys soil structure, compacts the soil so air and water can't penetrate and over time doesn't stop weeds anyway.
3. Planting too many plant varieties. Heard the saying "less is more"? It applies to gardens too. It is well worth getting some expert advice and having a planting plan, so you don't get carried away.
4. Cheap, solar, spiked in the ground garden lights.... need I say more.
5. Not paying attention to that expensive ready lawn you laid. You will need to get it treated and sprayed regularly to stop weeds invading.
6. Choosing a garden style that doesn't suit your lifestyle. If you are thinking of looking after the garden yourself, just make sure that you have the time and the inclination. This is a good conversation to have when you plan the garden or consider buying a house with a high maintenance garden to.
We can help you remove that huge tree, remove the weed mat and nurture your soil back to health, plan a perfect garden for you, treat your lawn or help maintain the high maintenance garden you have. Call us on 021 549 161 to start the process.
Hi - I'm the founder of Floribunda Garden Care & Claire Talbot Garden Design. I live in Hauraki, with my husband Mark and our 3 children, Tom, Molly & Charlie & 2 elderly cats.
4 years ago I decided to follow my passion, and studied Landscape Design at Unitec. It was the beginning of a journey where I have had the pleasure of meeting and working with some wonderful people who are passionate about plants, gardens and garden design.
I wanted to create a business that would provide job opportunities for women who wanted to flow work around their families. The team started small with first Toni, who I knew from Playcentre days, then Nadine, next Viv and then Pam and her son Zac. I utilised the skills of Naomi to provide my clients with stunning landscape designs. Keely left the world of banking to join us, after graduating with her Diploma in Landscape Design. Then we met Victoria, with her wealth of horticultural knowledge after interviewing her on Takapuna Beach. Next Andre, with her strength & passion for outdoor work and Terry, with his attention to detail. We love the way he folds our garden bags every Thursday, ready for the week ahead! We are always looking for the right people to join the team too.
Nowadays, the vision of the business isn't solely around work opportunities for women, but to give opportunities for our team to work in gardens, doing work that they love and are good at.
With a team of gardeners we are able to match client to gardener to garden. It is like match making. I love to meet a new client and choose which gardener would be a perfect pairing.
I think my skills are being organised and being generous with my knowledge to clients. I offer a free garden consultation so that I am able to share ideas and create relationships with those who live around us on the North Shore. I'm also happy to recommend other local businesses to help with garden related jobs too, such as Simon, the great French window cleaner and Steve, the waterblaster! Did I forget to mention Travis, the hedge & tree trimmer....!
With having a landscape design background, I am able to share ideas on garden layout as well as what plants are best in what spots. I particularly love bringing together different leaf textures and shapes into a garden and suggest plants that look great together.
My goal is to grow the business three fold over the next 3 years and spend more time designing. To do that we need more clients, so if you know anyone who doesn't have the time or isn't able to keep their garden tidy and looking beautiful, let us know. We'd love to help them. And we offer a 20% discount on a garden tidy for new referral clients.
The best way to contact me is to call or text 021 549 161.
Spring is nearly upon us! Here is our list of jobs that need tackling in your garden this month.
1. It's time to apply lawn fertiliser to stimulate new growth and also get rid of those weeds. We offer lawn treatments through our partnership with Pimp My Lawn, so if your lawn is looking a little sad and weedy, email us to book your treatment.
2. Fertilise your trees and shrubs with either sheep pellets or long term controlled release fertiliser granules. Great to do this just before it rains heavily, so the water helps dissolves the nutrients into the soil.
3. It is still rose planting and pruning time. Here is Toni, our rose expert, pruning and staking some older plants in Devonport this time last year.
4. Prepare vegetable patches with lots of organic matter, compost, blood and bone and lime ready for spring planting.
5. Plant strawberries, rhubarb, new citrus, fruit trees and veggie seedlings! It's been wet so a handful of slug pellets will help protect those new plants.
6. If you have indoor plants, hanging baskets or patio pots - give them a tidy & feed and repot into a larger container if they are looking squashed.
Let us turn your garden of need into a "Garden of Eden". Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to book a time for our gardeners to care for and tidy your garden this month.