It really feels like we are nearly there. It is warmer and I wore a t-shirt all day yesterday!
Here are my picks of the essential jobs that need doing in my and possibly your garden this week.
1. If you have children who run around bare feet and complain of the prickles, then you have Onehunga weed growing in the lawn. Buy some Prickle weedkiller and give the lawn a spray. It is killed really easily.
2. If you have a tropical garden or love that look, now is the time for planting Hibiscus. Lots of different varieties available. I have the larger Sinesis variety at the back of my beds, as hedging along with Griselinia Lucida, and the smaller varieties can be towards the front of the beds.
3. Plant your summer veges now and remember to stagger plant over the next month, so you have a regular supply. Plant your basil next to your tomatoes as companions - apparently it improves the flavour of the tomatoes.
4. Pots and containers will need more regular watering now it has warmed up. If you know you forget to water, maybe think of mixing in some water storage crystals with the potting mix.
5. If you haven't already, mulch your beds to conserve all the moisture that fell over the wet winter.
6. Liquid feed your plants to give them a boost. I love Seasol that you can connect onto your hose and spray direct from the bottle. Lots of fun!
And remember that if you can't quite get into your garden as life is busy, get our help before time runs out. Call me on 021 549 161 to get our sparkly team of gardeners on your side now.